Today, we had our Eden Walk trade fair where we aimed to make our sales for our products. As we were not able to have our prototype for the Bright Ideas final, I was in charge of visiting our manufactures to ensure we have a prototype for the final sale. However, after explaining our requirements to the manufacturer, they advised they would not be able to get our requested leather material (croc) as they had to order it from Italy and hence would not get in on time and would increase our overall cost price. They also advised as ¾ of their manufacturing is by hand, some aspects of the bag would not be achieved and hence were forced to alter the design of the bag. Ghalia, who was in charge of the design of the bag also had to defer from the course due to personal circumstances and hence a clear description of what could be done to make it easier for the manufactures became a little hard to communicate.
Following the first prototype, as seen in the pictures above, the stitching and overall look of the bag was not up to standard and definitely didn’t meet the criteria to be sold for the premium price we had previously set out to charge as it looked for bohemian than high end and classy. The reasoning for this was said to be as it was ‘handmade’ and hence we considered changing the target description to more touristic bohemian customers. However, after communication got the manufacturer our concerns, they advised all necessary improvements would be made and that we could maintain our current target market.
We managed to collect the second prototype which we decided to consider as a minimum viable product and use it for our trade fair in order to accept pre-orders. Despite it being a better version of the previous one, it still was not what we had set out to produce and the cost of production came up to three times what we had initially budgeted for.
At our trade fair, we spoke to our potential customers as well as some advisors and got very valuable feedback on the design, the need, and usability. A very constructive comment came in about our technology and the various upgrades that had recently been introduced that we could look at.
Due to our time constraints, as a group, we had to decide whether we would continue with a new manufacturer and go ahead to launch the bag under the Tasca brand or whether we would conclude the course based on the MVP. We had managed to get up to 4 pre-orders from the sale. Our action plan for the next week is to decide whether or not we would indeed continue with the bag and figure out various ways to manufacture e.g outsourcing to other countries.